Nov 25, 2010

The Wedding with a Conscience

Rebecca and Phil tell us all about their incredible wedding day.

Wedding Rebecca and Phil

Probably one of the best things we did was to write down all the things that made our day amazing while it was fresh in our minds. After the wedding all I could think of was what went wrong, after spending so long planning the day. On the honeymoon, whenever the ‘not quite right’ thoughts popped into my head, I would run through the list of good things we wrote down, and the smile was back on my face. Now after a few weeks, and when the honey moon is all over, all I can remember is the good things about the day. I would like to share them with you.

I was shell shocked with excitement and anticipation as I arrived at the venue to see the boys waiting on the jetty where the ceremony took place. Seeing how good everyone looked and how it all came together brought tears to my eyes before the ceremony even begun. I wanted to look at Phil from a distance, but I also wanted for me to be a surprise too, so I kept out of sight. We luckily had two wonderfully-behaved flower girls, my four year old cousin and two year old niece, walking down the aisle throwing flowers and presenting the rings, and three beautiful bridesmaids who set the scene for my entrance.

Wedding Rebecca and Phil

Having my mum walk me down the aisle was a wonderful way to have someone to share and support the long walk to Phil. I was able to share all my feelings of excitement and nervousness as we held hands tightly during the walk.

Phil and I put a lot of time into our vows and really enjoyed sharing them with our family and friends and I’m sure they will be still meaningful to us in the years to come.

I think putting the ring on Phil’s finger was when it really hit home for me. Although we knew it was something we were going to do, it is such a great symbol of the love we share and the pride we have that we found each other and will spend the rest of our lives together.

Our reception was intimate with nearly 70 people attending. It was just small enough that I felt like I had a chance to talk to everyone there. The food and wine was amazing and everyone loved it. Our menu was a set degustation menu of all local produce and matching local wines which minimised the wastage and kept the ‘food miles’ as low as possible.

Each guest received a tree as a gift from us and during my speech they were reminded of the trees’ significance in capturing carbon. I also thanked all our guests who offset their travel to the event, as some people came as far as from London.

Together all our family and friends ended up donating over $1500 to our favourite charities via the Karma Currency gift registry we had set up. It is such a good feeling that we were able to give a little back to the community as part of our celebrations.

Wedding Rebecca and Phil

Rebecca & Phil’s Menu


Fingerfood

To be served with Moon Sparkling Marsanne “2002” & Mitchelton Preece Sav Blanc “2007”
Smoked Chicken, Avocado & Cucumber Cruets
Pumpkin, Fetta & Spinach Pastry Triangles
Rare Roast Beef Bruschetta with crisp lettuce topped with caramelised onion
Individual Mediterranean Tartlets with Char Grilled Capsicum, Eggplant, and Semi Dried Tomato
Individual Margarita pizza’s with fresh Mozzarella, Cherry Tomato & torn Basil Leaves
House made crusty breads on table accompanied with Nagambie Gold Premium Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Entree

To be served with Tahbilk Chardonnay “2005”
Chicken Filo Pastry Parcel – Roasted breast of Chicken with sautéed Bacon, Leek & English Spinach encased in flaky Filo Pastry served on a bed of dressed Snow Pea Sprouts garnished with a Roasted Red Capsicum Coulis

Main

To be served with Mitchelton Shiraz “2006”
250g Prime Angus Beef Fillet slowly roasted seved on Creamy Garlic Mash with crisp Snow Peas and Beans drizzled with a Rich Beef & Red Wine Jus

Dessert

To be served with Monichino Botrytis Semillon “2004”
Wedding Cake – 3 tiers - Chocolate Ganache, White Chocolate nougat, limoncello

Cheeses

To be served as shared platters with Monichino “2004” Carlo Vintage Port
Locheilan Farmhouse cheeses including Kaarimba Soft, Camembert & Crumbly Stilton style Blue served with crackers, fresh grapes, dried apricot & our famous quince paste

Wedding Rebecca and Phil

Another thing that made the day not just all about us was asking family members to bring along their old wedding photos to put up on the walls at the reception venue. It was great to have a bit of family history at the reception and also a talking point, and of course everyone was very curious to see the original version of my Aunty’s wedding dress that I wore.

We really feel all the effort that went into planning the wedding paid off. Although it was quite hard work leading up to the event, we had the honeymoon to look forward to and then really appreciated it when we were away. We tried to involve as many family and friends in the various parts of the ceremony and reception as we could which made it a bit more special, and doing all that we could to minimise the environmental impact meant we could celebrate with a clear conscience. We are really pleased that our wedding day was a strong reflection of our values and we were able to share it with people we value most.

Our Vows


Phil

I ask everyone here today to witness that I, Phillip Luke Hendy, take you, Rebecca Isabel White, to be my lawful wedded wife.

I promise that from this day forward I shall be open and honest with you and will refrain from closing up on you.

I shall make time to share with you because I love you and enjoy sharing time with you. However I shall also encourage you to spend time by yourself and with others so you are able to continue your dear friendships with others and achieve your own goals. I shall acknowledge the love we share on a daily basis and do my part in ensuring that every night for the rest of our lives we will both go to sleep happy that we are together.

Rebecca

I ask everyone here today to witness that I, Rebecca Isabel White, take you, Phillip Luke Hendy, to be my lawful wedded husband.

I promise to support you and give you time to do things that are important to you. I promise to pay attention when you are trying to teach me things. I promise to be open with my feelings and will remember that you are always on my side.

I promise to make time that we can spend together as a couple and remember the reasons we fell in love. I love your smile and want to keep you smiling everyday for the rest of our lives. Let us be friends and lovers and grow old together.

Ring Exchange


The circle of a ring which has no definite beginning and is without end or base is a symbol of a love that is for eternity for Rebecca and Phil. Just as they feel like they have always known and loved each other, these rings will be a symbol of their undying love, for the rest of their lives.

Phil

Rebecca, accept this ring as a symbol of the love we share and a constant reminder of the vows we have made. This is my promise that I shall continue to love you and be proud that you are my wife.

Rebecca

Phillip, accept this ring as a symbol of the love we share and a constant reminder of the vows we have made. This is my promise that I shall continue to love you and be proud that you are my husband.

Wedding Rebecca and Phil

Wedding Rebecca and Phil

engaged

No comments:

Post a Comment