Nov 6, 2010

Happy Planning!

This month, we talk with Emma Newman, a wedding planner based in Christchurch. We were keen to find out why you would hire a wedding planner...

I guess the biggest question for everyone is ‘why choose to use a wedding planner?’ Can you outline the biggest advantages?

Definitely. Like any consultant, you are hiring their expertise in an area or field of work. The planner will have a very good handle on venues and all other suppliers. In my case, I have lived most of my life in the South Island and I have come to know this part of New Zealand extremely well. Matching the right supplier to the couple is the key. Whilst it is great if the couple have all the time in the world and the experience to make that decision, many do not have the time or knowledge of what is available. I can provide this service for them once I get to know the couple first.

Wedding planners can save the couple money too with honest feedback on where they should spend their money and effort. Personally, I also spend much time calming and confirming things. Some brides enjoy an emotional connection with me; some don’t need it as they have others in their life that are there for them. I like the variety in that some do and some don’t.

A wedding planner is definitely a great idea when the couple are overseas. I work a lot with or without anyone’s family or otherwise living here.

What services are generally provided? Do you have different packages or are your services provided on an hourly rate?

Many wedding planners will have different packages. I provide an initial advice, which involves a meeting or chats on the phone or via email to get a thorough idea of what the couple wants and then matching all the suppliers they will need. A great list is provided and then they can take it from there or I can then do bookings as another stand-alone package.

For example, I can be hired for the time of the initial advice to the week of the wedding or just for the week of the wedding and on the day. I also have an hourly rate if they have one-off issues they need help with.

Flexibility is the key for wedding planners. I would hate to think that couples are put off as they are scared they have to outlay a lot of money to a wedding planner who they can’t get rid of! Like any professional, wedding planners should provide a written proposal at the start which the couple formally confirm and then both parties should sign the terms and conditions.

As my by-line says: for a little or a lot of planning.

Do you help and work with couples’ budgets?

Definitely. I feel very strongly about making sure a couple enjoy their day whatever their budget. I have weddings on my books which range from $20,000 (and less) through to $100,000 +. I had a wonderful wedding and we had to save on certain things. A good wedding planner should be sensitive to budgets and not put another layer of pressure on couples to spend money.

Do you ever have those times when you just have to say ‘no’? For example, brides ringing you at 2am in the morning to say they just ‘don’t really think daisy motifs will work and that roses would be so much better?’. And then calling you the next morning when they have decided that daisies really are the right choice?

Yes. This is where my experience and intuition come in as you can work out how to help couples or brides who are getting very worried and perhaps not helping themselves with all the details. I am honest but never hurtful and I like to think a couple can work with me to make sure we can get through it all.

I am a detailed person at heart - you couldn’t do this job if you didn’t enjoy that part! So I have no problem waking up in the morning and finding 20 emails from a bride who has a good day in London on her wedding planning. I work through them and enjoy bringing it all together.

It is often helpful if couples know what to ask a wedding professional. What would you suggest a bride and groom ask a potential wedding planner?

Always give them an idea of what style of wedding you are wanting (lots of guests with a traditional marquee wedding or small and simple), this way they can tailor their proposal better to your needs.

Request a formal proposal – you would ask for a quote from a plumber, so definitely get one from your wedding planner for your wedding!

Ask about experience and be specific. Have they had experience in that locality? For example, I am always honest about whether I have worked with a certain venue or say in an area – it doesn’t mean the wedding planner won’t be ideal for you but I think that honesty is imperative. I undertook two wonderful large marquee weddings in Blenheim this year for the first time. The couples didn’t mind that I had not had experience in that area and I think they appreciated the honesty.

Check they don’t mind getting their hands dirty. I have cleaned toilets, swept beaches of dog poop through to laying marquee flooring… it’s not all glamour for a wedding planner. BUT don’t expect them to be your slave for the day! A wedding planner is there to delegate and oversee more than anything, so don’t just think that they are there to do all the jobs – a good wedding planner will discuss who will do each job on the day anyway.

Try to have a chat with them in person even if you live overseas. This person will be working with you a lot and you have to get on to some degree.

Lastly, a little more about you. How long have you been a wedding planner? Is it something you always knew you wanted to do, or did it evolve from your experience with weddings and wedding professionals?

I have been a wedding planner for seven years. Clichéd, but I loved planning my own wedding and I come from a background of a lot of hosting of events and parties. I was also an Honorary Consul for Uruguay in NZ for eight years and so I have always worked with overseas guests. I have a rural background in the South Island and know the island well. I love people and what makes them tick. I LOVE pretty things too and what is prettier than a happy bride and groom? I cry at most weddings I attend!

My last bit of advice: if you have a wedding planner in your area give them a call or email, you may be very pleasantly surprised how they can help. In New Zealand we are not here to be so expensive that only an elite few can afford us. I love the variety and believe I am very cost effective.

engaged, july 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment