Jul 24, 2010

Local couples share wedding planning experiences

Anyone who watches the many TV “reality” shows put out these days about weddings, has to believe that planning for this special day causes more than a little stress. From the “Bridezillas” to the over-the-top wedding planners, it’s enough to make young couples elope.

But checking with three local couples who have weddings on their mind, reveals the true reality, that planning a wedding does not have to be a stressful experience.

“I learned not to stress over the small things, there is so much more out there,” said Laci Bourque of New Iberia, who is marrying fiance Justin Caprito of St. Martinville in March.

Bourque’s wedding planning experience started off with quite a bit of stress.

“He proposed to me in May and we originally set the date for one year,” she said. “We couldn’t find a hall and moved the date to June.We booked a hall, but came to find out it was double-booked. That’s when we started panicking and came up with a March date.”

The couple’s stress factor, however, was put into perspective when, just one week after the proposal, Bourque was diagnosed with a brain tumor.

“My fiance was wonderful,” she said. “He was with me every step of the way, which only confirmed what I knew, that he was the one for me.”

Plans for the wedding continued and after two surgeries, one in August and one in October, Bourque was pronounced well. The tumor, found to be benign, was removed.

“I would advise anyone getting married to start planning early,” she said. “A lot of my plans were already done and it’s a good thing because if I hadn’t started right away, I wouldn’t be where I am today.”
‘I learned not to stress over the small things, there is so much more out there.’
Laci Bourque

As for her choice of bridal gown and bridesmaid dresses, Bourque said she had always wanted the colors yellow and brown for her wedding colors and the very first gown she tried on was the one she bought.

Eryn Viator and William Craig Morel Jr. were joined in holy matrimony Jan. 23 at St. Genevieve Catholic Church in Lafayette. The New Iberia couple made all their plans in just four months.

“The date picked was when the church, the reception and everyone else was able to do it,” Viator said a couple of days before her wedding. “Ours was a team effort, with my mom and sisters, my future mother-in-law and bridesmaids all helping out,” she said. “We just wanted everything to fit our personalities. // Wedding Guide

No comments:

Post a Comment