Dec 10, 2010

Let Me Count the Ways

In our first ever issue of Engaged we had a feature on flowers: what colour to choose, what bouquet shape to choose for your body shape and dress style, how to choose flowers on a budget, questions for the florist... one thing we didn’t consider in that article was the all-important meaning of flowers. How do you know that the flowers you have chosen don’t have a secret, unwanted meaning? It’s as easy as checking out this list!

Bridal Bouquet

So here goes...

Alstromeria: Strength
Amaryllis: Pride
Anemone: Forsaken
Aster: Elegance and daintiness, virtue, love
Bells of Ireland: Good luck
Bluebell: Humility

Carnation
  • Solid colour: Yes
  • Striped: No, refusal, sorry I can’t be with you, wish I could be with you
  • Pink: I’ll never forget you, woman’s love
  • Red: Admiration, My heart aches for you, I love you
  • Purple: Capriciousness
  • White: Sweet and lovely, innocence, pure love, woman’s good luck
  • Yellow: You have disappointed me, rejection

Chrysanthemum
  • Red: I love you, remember me
  • White: Fidelity, truth
  • Yellow: Slighted love, I’m sorry, I’m sad

Daffodil: Regard, respect
  • Yellow: Chivalry

Daisy: Innocence, loyal love, I’ll never tell, purity
Delphinium: Ardent attachment
Fern: Magic, fascination, confidence and shelter
Flowering almond: Hope
Forget-me-not: True love, remembrance
Freesia: Trust
Gardenia: You’re lovely, secret love
Gladioli: Remembrance, I’m sincere
Heliotrope: Devotion
Honeysuckle: Generosity
Hyacinth
  • Blue: Constancy
  • Purple: I am sorry, sorrow
  • Red or pink Play
  • White: Loveliness
  • Yellow: Jealousy

Hydrangea: Thank you for understanding
Ivy: Fidelity, wedded love, affection
Iris: Flame, promise, faith, hope
Japonica: Loveliness
Jasmine: Amiability
Larkspur: Appreciation
Liatris: Gladness
Lemon blossom: Fidelity in love
Lilac: Youthful innocence
Lily
  • White: Purity and virginity, sweetness
  • Yellow: Gratitude, gaiety

Lily-of-the-valley: Sweetness, return to happiness, humility
Magnolia: Perseverance, nobility
Maidenhair: Discretion, secret bond of love
Orange blossom: Purity, innocence, eternal love, marriage and fruitfulness
Orchid: Thoughtfulness and wisdom, love, beauty, refinement
Peony: Gay life, happy marriage
Poppy
  • White: Consolation
  • Red: Pleasure
  • Yellow: Wealth, success

Rose
  • White and red: Unity
  • White: Spiritual and true love, I’m worthy of you
  • Red: True love and desire
  • Pink: Sweetness, please believe me
  • Yellow: Friendship
  • Black: Farewell, death

Snapdragon: Intrigue
Stephanotis: Happiness in marriage, desire to travel
Stock: Bonds of affection
Sweetpea: Pleasure
Tulip
  • Red: Declaration of love
  • Yellow: Hopelessly in love, purity

Veronica: Fidelity
Violet: Faithfulness, virtue
Zinnia
  • Magenta: Lasting affection
  • Mixed: Thinking (or in memory of) an absent friend
  • Scarlet: Constancy
  • White: Goodness
  • Yellow: Daily remembrance

engaged

No comments:

Post a Comment